The LIBRE project consists of a consortium of industry and academic research organisations. It aims to develop and demonstrate the feasibility of lignin based carbon fibre materials for application in the energy and automotive sectors.
Objectives of LIBRE:
- Development of new bio-based composite materials utilising lignin from the pulp and paper industry blended with biopolymers as a precursor.
- Reduction in energy consumption and greenhouse gas emissions during the manufacturing process through the use of microwave and radio frequency (MW/RF) heating technologies.
- Surface functionalisation using non-aqueous processes to enhance performance in polymer composites
- Increased sustainability of composite materials.
- A competitive edge for end-user sectors such as transportation, renewable energy and construction.